Doctors save boy's life by removing whistle from lungs

The boy, Tanmaya Behera of Chowdwar of Cuttack district had accidentally swallowed a plastic whistle while playing, that resulted a severe cough and syncopal attack.

For ten days the desperate family approached several major hospitals of Cuttack and other places but their efforts were in vain. Finally, they came to IGH on April 6, 2011, hospital sources said.

By that time the condition of the child had become critical with breathing problem, chest pain, vomiting tendency and persistent cough. After several tests, it was found that the whistle had got stuck deep inside the lower portion of the child's left lungs, doctors said.
The plastic whistle was removed on April nine in three pieces with the help of telescope and optical forceps under general anaesthesia. A team of doctors led by Dr Sidhes Chandra Mishra, Joint Director, ENT specialist. The child was normal and discharged from the hospital on April ten, 2011, the sources said.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)