Fire breaks out at CM's office in Vidhana Soudha

Short circuit said to be the cause

A minor fire broke out at the office of Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on the third floor of the Vidhana Soudha on Monday.

According to eyewitnesses, the fire started around 11.20 am and smoke was noticed in the air conditioner duct. Soon, the electrical equipment was on fire.

The security personnel at the chief minister’s office attempted to douse the fire with the emergency extinguisher in the office and informed the firemen also. A fire tender was rushed to the Vidhana Soudha. However, the fire squad at the Vidhana Soudha was able to put out the fire with the emergency extinguisher in a few minutes.

Hampagol, Technical Director, Fire and Emergency Services, told Deccan Herald that it was a very minor fire and there was no damage except the air conditioner where the fire started. He said an electrical short circuit triggered the fire.

However, in view of the recent fires at the Mantralaya in Mumbai and the Jubilee Hall of the Andhra Pradesh Assembly, the incident at the Vidhana Soudha caused panic in the corridors of power.

‘Quick response’

Speaking about the fire safety measures at the Vidhana Soudha, Hampagol said: “No safety measure can prevent a fire. But it is the response to an accident that is important.

On that count, today’s incident has proved the preparedness of the department, the fire safety measures in the Vidhana Soudha and the awareness of the personnel working there.”

Hampagol said after the Mumbai Mantralaya fire, the Fire and Emergency Services Department undertook a special inspection of all the major government buildings in the area, recently. 

Vidhana Soudha, Raj Bhavan, MS Building, High Court and VV Towers have special fire outposts with professional fire fighters keeping  vigil 24X7 and thus the response to any eventuality at these buildings is the best. 

“After the recent inspections, we are satisfied with the fire safety measures in these important buildings. We have also suggested some more precautions and safety norms to be followed, which are being effectively implemented. We have drawn up an elaborate fire safety programme for the staff at these buildings,” Hampagol added.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry