Couple, child injured in LPG blast

A couple and their five-month-old baby were injured in a LPG cylinder explosion at Suddaguntepalya Monday morning.

Saravana Kumar, 42, a technician with an air conditioner sales and services company, his wife Kavita, 28, and their five-month-old daughter Soumya, residents of Bovi Nagar, are the injured. The family hails from Virudhunagar in Tamil Nadu, police said.

Kavita said the explosion might have occurred when Kumar, who wanted to boil milk for the baby, lit the stove. All the three were rushed to a private hospital in Hanumanthanagar. Kumar has suffered nearly 55 per cent burns and his condition is critical, while Kavita and the baby have suffered five per cent burns, police said. Kavita has been discharged from the hospital.

Police officials who inspected the spot told Deccan Herald that the kitchen was too small and did not have a ventilator. ”Either the gas stove was not turned off properly last night or there was a leakage. The gas had accumulated as there was no ventilation and this might have led to the explosion,” they said.

Three neighbouring houses were damaged due to the blast. However, no one was injured. Mico Layout police have registered a case.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)