×
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

STPs at apartments to dilute water woes

State Pollution Control Board report finds more takers for treatment plants
Last Updated : 19 August 2013, 22:04 IST
Last Updated : 19 August 2013, 22:04 IST

Follow Us :

Comments

State Pollution Control Board report finds more takers for treatment plants.

The Karnataka State Pollution Control Board (KSPCB) is reiterating that the future of Bangalore is in the reuse of water, something the City might not be able to escape for too long.

In this direction, the Board had made it mandatory that all apartment complexes and big structures have sewage treatment plants installed in their buildings so as to obtain a clearance from it.

“Price of water is not yet alarming for many Bangaloreans. Once it gets there, they will understand the benefits of using treated water for secondary purposes (non-drinking),” says Vamanacharya, Chairperson of KSPCB.

Arguing that the Board’s intention is to create infrastructure for treated water so that Bangalore does not begin this process in the future which is likely to be more demanding, he said, the progress is promising.

A report of the monitoring committee on performance of wastewater treatment plants in apartments and other establishments in BBMP limits is a testimony to this.

The report compiled by D N Ravi Shankar (Environment Engineer), Technical Expert and M G Yathish, Environmental Officer, KSPCB, reveals that most apartments that have put in place treatments plants have installed facilities that comply with the Board’s standards.

The team could not inspect all the facilities due to paucity of time and practicality, given the large number of establishments. The report is based on the random visits with local environmental officers of the Board. 

“Anyhow, the environmental officers concerned of the Board are regularly conducting routine inspections and sometimes on complaints. It is not necessary to inspect 100 per cent of the STPs to draw conclusions,” the report said.

Vamanacharya said, “It looks good. In fact, most apartments have excess treated water. On an average, they are reusing about 40 per cent of treated water, while the remaining 60 per cent is let out.”

On whether this is a burden on the existing infrastructure, he said: “No. It is, in fact, reducing the amount of waste let into the Vrishabhavathi, which is welcome.”

The report states: “Considering wastewater treatment as an industry, the committee inferred that treated water has a value and saves precious water when used for secondary purposes like flushing toilets and gardening.”

Noting that raw material in this regard is free and reliable, it says, “Depending on the technology, there is availability of byproducts like biogas. Sludge can be used as manure, while dissolved nutrients in treated water substitute/reduce the input of fertilisers when used for gardening/golf courses/irrigation.”

Completely endorsing reuse of water, the report has reached the chairman’s table. But implementation of its findings will depend on more than just KSPCB’s will.

ADVERTISEMENT
Published 19 August 2013, 22:03 IST

Deccan Herald is on WhatsApp Channels | Join now for Breaking News & Editor's Picks

Follow us on :

Follow Us

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT