Srirangapatna Dasara to commence today

Dasara in Sr'patna began in 1610 AD

Lexicographer G Venkatasubbaiah, a native of Ganjam in the taluk, will inaugurate the five-day Dasara here on Monday.

He will offer floral tributes to the idol of goddess Chamundeshwari, mounted on a howdah atop an elephant, at Bannimantapa, Kirangur Circle, on the outskirts of the town, to launch the Jamboo Savari. The event will mark the beginning of the Srirangapatna Dasara. The Jamboo Savari will reach Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple in the town via the Bangalore-Mysore highway.

Cultural event will be held for five days near the temple.Potholes on the Kirangur-Baburayanakoppalu road, and the town roads have been filled up and asphalted. The Bannimantapa, Municipality building, Mini Vidhana Soudha and other government offices have been illuminated. Security in the town has been beefed up with deputation of 200 police personnel, 100 home guards, three platoons of KSRP and two companies of DAR.

Forty tableaux by various government departments and organisations and folk art troupes will accompany the Jamboo Savari procession. The DC has directed the officials to take steps to decorate the path of the Jamboo Savari.

Dasara, in the island town of Srirangapatna, known as Jaladurga before the advent of Ganga rulers, began in 1610 AD with Raja Wadiyar reviving the tradition followed in the Vijayanagar empire. The celebrations shifted to Mysore in 1799 AD as the capital was changed. The tradition of celebrating Dasara by the District Administration, to revive the heritage of the old capital of Mysore, started in 2006.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get the top news in your inbox
GET IT
Comments (+)