Tubectomy deaths: 21 women discharged,17 still under treatment

Tubectomy deaths: 21 women discharged,17 still under treatment

A total of 21 women were today discharged from two hospitals in the district where they had been undergoing treatment along with several other women in the wake of botched sterilisation surgeries that claimed 13 lives.

Eighteen women were discharged from Apollo Hospital, while three others were discharged from Chhattisgarh Institute of Medical Sciences (CIMS), taking the total number of women released from hospitals so far to 104, an official statement today said.

While 16 women remain admitted in Apollo Hospital, one woman is undergoing treatment at CIMS, the statement said.

Thirteen women had died after undergoing tubectomies in state-run sterilisation camps conducted in Bilaspur district on November 8 and 10. While 12 of the 83 women who died were operated upon on November 8 at the camp in Pendari village, a protected Baiga tribe woman was the lone casualty from at Pendra block, where around 56 women underwent surgeries at three different camps on November 10.

"While being discharged, the women were handed over a cheque of Rs 50,000 each towards compensation by CEO of Zilla Parishad, Sarveshwar Bhure. They were dispatched to their respective destinations in special vehicles with their family members," the statement said.

In the wake of the 13 deaths, the state government has already initiated a judicial probe and arrested the surgeon who conducted the procedure. Police have also arrested owner of a drug firm and his son in this connection.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)