Sulahkul Vihar residents await development

Locality check

Named after the legendary ‘Dwarka Kingdom’, Dwarka is an upmarket and sought-after residential subcity, located in the south west district of the National Capital Territory of Delhi. Dwarka,which also happens to be the largest residential suburb in Asia, with a total of 1,718 residential enclaves boasts a net population of approximately 1,100,000. Some parts of modern day Dwarka historically came under the colony of Pappan Kalan, which are now being developed under the ‘Urban Expansion Projects’ of the Delhi Development Authority. The subcity has been planned for an environment of convenience which contains essential facilities and services at different levels namely health, education, hotel, safety and security, cultural, and communication etc.

Sulahkul Vihar, located on the Old Palam Road is one of the exceptional residential colonies in this area and has its own story to tell. Switching from agricultural land to residential colony, Sulahkul Vihar is still awaiting development.

“One of the major problems deciding the growth of the area is that the land mafias have housed slums on their respective plots to ensure that the land is not encroached upon, and it also helps inincreasing the land rates,” says Ranjan Singh, secretary, Sulahkul Vihar residents association. The slums consist of small businesses for cleaning of used alcohol bottles with hazardous chemical agents. “This colony was planned to be Dwarka Sector 15, but since the landlord did not collect compensation from the government, the plan fell through” informs Singh.

Now the colony is spread over 16-28 acres and provides housing for almost 200 people. There are a few big houses in the colony, which choose to stay far from the crowded ward of the city. Guarded by Sector 14 DDA flats and Old Palam Road, there are few grocery and general stores in the colony. Netaji Subhash Institute of Technology is a mere stone’s throw away, connected by Azad Hind Fauj Marg which leads to Dwarka Mor Metro station. The Dwarka subcity has a robust and well connected road network built to modern specifications to each of its sectors and adjoining areas.

The DDA has implemented the unique concept of Mixed Land Use (MLU) in Dwarka. Most of the DDA housing clusters in Dwarka have commercial buildings in close proximity. In many sectors, approximately 80 per cent of the plot is used for residential flats, with the remaining 20 per cent allocated for commercial purposes. The unique MLU concept provides lots of convenience to the occupants of Dwarka DDA flats, as they get facilities for shopping, dining and purchasing grocery in close proximity.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry