Inspector sent on leave recalled as colleagues launch stir

Inspector sent on  leave recalled as colleagues launch stir
Protest by parties and colleagues on Tuesday forced Police Commissioner S Murugan to recall an inspector who was asked to go on leave for arresting a criminal.

Around 2,000 people blocked the Mangaluru-Bengaluru bypass in front of Mangaluru Rural (Kankanady) police station after inspector Pramod Kumar was asked to go on leave for arresting a suspect wanted by the police in different cases including rape, robbery and attempt to murder.

According to sources, the inspector arrested Aboobaker, accused in many cases and a resident of Ulaibettu, on the outskirts of the City. He was absconding for a long time. Soon after the arrest, district incharge Minister B Ramanath Rai and Mangaluru North MLA Mohideen Bawa are said to have mounted pressure to release the accused.

As the officer refused to budge to the pressure, Police Commissioner S Murugan asked him to go on a 10-day leave.

When the colleagues of the inspector learnt about it, all of them including sub-inspectors, assistant sub-inspectors, head constables and constables came out of the station and told the higher-ups that they too would like to go on leave.

When a few leaders learnt about the incident, the leaders and activists irrespective of party affiliation - Congress, BJP, DYFI and from Hindu organisations - started gathering in front of the police station.

Police officers and personnel from neighbouring stations like Kadri, Panambur and Surathkal too arrived at the spot in support of the inspector.

When Murugan arrived, the leaders told him that unless the inspector was recalled, they would not clear the road.

When contacted, Murugan said that he had not asked the inspector to go on leave. “There is some confusion which will be cleared soon,” he said.

Succumbing to pressure, the police commissioner called up Pramod and only after he returned to the station, the public dispersed. The police personnel had a tough time tracing Pramod as his phones were not reachable. As soon as he reached the station, the public carried him on their shoulders to the station. Upon his request, the public withdrew their protest.

Liked the story?

  • 0

  • 0

  • 0

  • 0

  • 0