HC order leaves parents disappointed

With the High Court staying the Delhi government’s order of scrapping management quota in the ongoing nursery admissions on Thursday, parents who were hoping for the contrary were left disappointed.

“I was hoping of a positive outcome. There would have been an increase in the number of seats for general category parents like us had the quota been scrapped,” said Rashi Jain, who has applied to a total of 15 schools for her ward.

“The government tried restricting such practices which can lead to corruption but nothing can be done now. I am very disappointed as already the chances of my child are less. I was banking on the scrapping of management quota,” said a parent, who did not wish to be identified.

He was able to fill forms only in eight schools due to the lack of a “valid” residential proof as rent deeds are not accepted by most of them.

“When the Delhi government scrapped the quota, I was hopeful that at least 20 per cent chance has increased,” the parent said.

Most of the schools in the capital have a 20 per cent management or discretionary quota for nursery admissions. The Delhi government in its January 6 order had scrapped it along with other “arbitrary and discriminatory” criteria listed by schools on their websites and only retained the 25 per cent quota for Economically Weaker Sections (EWS).

“Management quota is not a transparent way of conducting the admission process. The government should have passed it through the Delhi Assembly and not by an office order, as the High Court said,” says Ritu Anand, a parent.

Some confused
While some were disappointed over the development, others were left confused over the 11 points defended by the school associations in the High Court and retained in the judgment.

Kapil Verma got a mail from Ambience School on Thursday evening saying that it has cut 10 points previously assigned for ‘first-born’ child.

Even though the criterion is in the list allowed by the court, the school has revised its point system.

When contacted, Ambience School Principal Jeania Aibara said that she had done it to provide “level playing field” to every parent.

“Even after the court order, there is no assurance of what changes can happen till the process is completed. So we decided to cut the points for first born child,” she said.

“Parents are totally confused about the point system and are not sure what points would be allocated, the original or the 11 points allowed by court. Some schools have even removed points allowed by court which have made situation total confusing and some schools have started calling parents for admission without even waiting for 15 February,” said education activist Sumit Vohra, also the founder of online portal admissionsnursery.com.


Meanwhile, Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia said that its respects the court order and the “efforts for bringing transparency in admission process” would continue.

Assembly elections 2019 | Get the latest news, views and analysis on elections in Haryana and Maharashtra on DeccanHerald.com


For election-related news in Maharashtra, click here

For election-related news in Haryana, click here

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)