Out-patient services resume in Bengaluru hospitals

Out-patient services resume in Bengaluru hospitals

Out-patient services in all city hospitals had resumed following withdrawal of strike action by private doctors on  Thursday evening.


"We have opened our OPD service today (Friday) as Private Hospitals and Nursing Homes Association (PHANA) has asked us to resume work," said sources from Fortis hospital.

Private Doctors had protested against the Private Medical Establishment Bill introduced by the state government. They called off the strike following a request by the Chiefr Justice of Karnataka High Court asking them to discontinue the protest and challenge the Bill legally.


Dr Swaroop Gopal, senior consultant, Neuro surgery  and director of Neurosciences, Sakra World Hospital said the out patient services where open since Friday morning though the hospital did not have many patients.


He also added that surgeries are rescheduled to Saturday and beyond. Doctors said patients did not turn up as they were not aware that the OPD wards were open. "We have called off the strike and all the out patient services are working as usual," said Dr Veeranna B, secretary, Indian Medical Association.

Dr Jnanendrappa, president of IMA, Bangalore division said the strike action had been called off solely upon the court's request.


"We honour the court's decision. We did not want to disrespect the court's decision. That is the reason why we called off the strike," he said.

On Thursday, doctors from various medical establishments staged a day-long strike in Bengaluru against the KPME Bill.

They ended the protest following a request by the Chief Justice HG Ramesh asked them to stop their protest as patients are suffering without the out-patient services.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry