Another teen dies in Kashmir, 20 hurt in clashes

A mob attacked security forces with stones and bricks in Soura area of Srinagar city following the death of 18-year-old Omar Qayoom Bhat in the Sher-e-Kashmir Medical Institute Soura (SKIMS) after battling for life for three days.

Bhat was admitted in the hospital Monday "with lung contusion and respiratory syndrome", said Syed Amin Tabish, medical superintendent of SKIMS.Doctors had put Bhat on life support system in the hospital's cardiac intensive care unit where he succumbed to injuries Wednesday morning.

Relatives and locals alleged security forces had severely beaten the boy during clashes in Soura area last Friday. Bhat belonged to Anchar locality adjacent to Soura, where he was buried this evening.

An agitated mob also torched a police troop carrier and a private vehicle in Soura after attacking a guard post there. Police intervened with batons, tear smoke shells and also fired pellets using Pump Action Guns (PAG).

The PAG have been recently pressed into service for mob control to avoid serious injuries to protesters during clashes. The clashes in Soura left a dozen policemen and five protesters hurt. The injured were admitted to SKIMS, where doctors said four people had sustained pellet injuries and their conditions were out of danger.

Police had a tough time controlling the mob as protesters pelted stones even as Bhat's burial took place in a graveyard in Soura. Clashes between the security forces and protesters were continuing in the area till late evening.

Meanwhile, one protester was injured in south Kashmir Pampore town where a mob attacked a passing convoy of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).The injured person, who sustained a bullet wound in the shoulder, has been shifted for treatment to Srinagar city, police said.

Protesters also blocked the strategic Srinagar-Muzaffarabad road at Palhalan village in north Kashmir Baramulla town, pelting stones at passing vehicles.

Authorities had imposed curfew in nine police station areas of Srinagar city besides restrictions in areas falling under Soura and Shergarhi police stations of the city.
Curfew was also imposed in central Badgam town and south Kashmir Anantnag town.
Separatist Hurriyat group headed by Syed Ali Geelani had asked people to observe a protest shutdown in the Valley Wednesday and Thursday as part of the group's 'Quit Kashmir' campaign.

Shops, businesses, banks, post offices and educational institutions remained closed in the areas under curfew and official restrictions. While public transpor went off roads, marginal private transport plied in some uptown areas of Srinagar city.Reports from other towns of the Valley said normal life was thrown out of gear because of the separatist shutdown call.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get the top news in your inbox
Comments (+)