Identify your interest

Identify your interest


study abroad

Dear Madam,

I am an MBA graduate with science (PCMB) background at my pre-university level. I am 43, but still, have the passion for higher studies. I aspire to be a nutritionist and wish to pursue a course in Nutrition and Dietetics. In pursuit of the above, I enquired in a few colleges in Bangalore but was denied admission due to age factor. Please guide me on this. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Deepa Umesh


Dear Deepa,

The good news is that universities in most parts of the world will accept students at any age. If you want to study in UK, Australia or New Zealand, you need to only write the IELTS exam. If you want to study in the US, Canada or Europe you need to also write the GRE for graduate admissions or SAT for undergraduate admissions. If you did not study Science subjects at undergraduate level, you would be eligible for a Bachelors programme in Nutrition.

The tuition fees and duration of your course will be lesser in UK, New Zealand and Australia compared to US and Canada. Stay back options and work visas are easier to get in New Zealand and Canada.


Dear Madam,

I am in my third year of engineering (ECE). I want to pursue my Masters abroad. But I am confused as to which emerging course should I choose. Moreover, I wish to know their scope in future and the universities which offer these courses.

S Patil


Dear Student,

Some of the popular specialisations are Artificial Intelligence, Computer Architecture, Computer Networks, Cybersecurity, Digital Signal Processing, Embedded Systems, Nanotechnology, Networking, Robotics, Signal Processing and Software Engineering. Rather than pick ing a specialisation that is the trend, you must choose a specialisation that is of interest to you. When you enjoy doing something, you will be good at it and when you are good at something, you will have enough jobs coming your way! Most of the well-known universities offer these subjects. Again, it is important to identify the country you want to go to, research many university websites before you shortlist a few. Choosing a university is also going to depend on the marks you score in your BE.

The US universities that are known for these courses are Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, UCLA, UC Berkeley, USC, UIUC and CMU. In the UK, UCL, Bristol, Nottingham Trent, Southampton, Imperial College and Glasgow are among those that offer these specialisations. In New Zealand, University of Canterbury has an excellent Computer and Electrical Engineering department. University of Melbourne and Monash are the leading universities in this subject area in Australia. University of Toronto, University of British Columbia and Waterloo in Canada offer these courses. TU Delft in the Netherlands, NUS Singapore and TU Munich and RWTH Aachen in Germany are the other highly ranked universities for these specialisations.


Dear Madam,

I am in my final year B Sc Psychology (Distance Education). I wanted to do my internship in the UK. Moreover, I have 10 years of experience in Corporate training and counselling. Please guide me on this.

Richard Harda


Dear Richard,

It is not easy getting an internship opportunity in the UK if you are studying in India. It is best you work with a UK-based firm in India and perhaps request them to post you in the UK for a short period to give you the opportunity to experience working there. Alternately, you can apply for a one-year Master’s programme in the UK and then find ample internship opportunities. The total cost of tuition and living expenses put together for one year in the UK for a Master’s program will be around Rs 20 lakh.


Dear Madam,

I am presently working as a lecturer in the Mechanical Engineering department at a rural Polytechnic college. I wish to get into higher research in a foreign university. As I have already completed my MTech with a specialisation in Production Management. I wish to pursue my PhD in areas like manufacturing techniques and work standardisation. Kindly suggest foreign universities that offer doctorate programmes with a stipend.

Vishwanath Savadatti


Dear Vishwanath,

To apply for a PhD programme, it is important to communicate with professors at various universities and get their permission to apply. Most of these programmes are fully funded and it is important to convince the professors that you will be an asset to their department.

Universities look for candidates who have excellent writing skills, high academic credential and published research works. GRE score of 327 and above is necessary. You need to identify a research topic and communicate with professors from various universities who are already into research in your area of interest.

A good research proposal, a statement of purpose which clearly addresses your interest in their university and the particular department you are applying to, a resume which highlights all your academic achievements, research works and publications and work experience will help them decide if you are a worthy candidate.

As a first step, research different university websites in various countries and shortlist a few universities that seem like a best fit for you.


Dear Madam,

I am a second year BA student. I want to purse MA in Literature abroad. I would like to know if Oxford University in the UK offers scholarship and what is the minimum IELTS score required to get into Oxford University? What are the other requirements for admission to Oxford University? I would also like to know if the minimum IELTS score required to get into universities abroad is the same for all universities or different.



Dear Sourakshini,

Your IELTS score should be above 7.5 overall with no less than 7 in each individual band. You should also get a high first class in BA. Published written work will strengthen your application. Merit-based scholarships are available both within the University and externally. You would first need an offer to be eligible to apply for scholarships. This is the case with most of the top universities in the UK.


Dear Madam,

I have completed my engineering in Electronics and Communication. I want to pursue MS in VLSI Design, could you please suggest me with some of the good countries and universities.



Dear Anusha,

Universities that are among the best for VLSI Design are Arizona State University, Carnegie Mellon, Georgia Tech, Michigan Ann Arbor, MIT, Princeton, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, University of Southern California and University of Wisconsin in the US.

St Andrews, Bristol, Edinburgh, Imperial College, Southampton and Sheffield in the UK. University College Cork, University of Limerick and Trinity College Dublin in Ireland. TU-Munich, Darmstadt University of Applied Sciences and
University of Applied
Sciences Bremen in