Cops say Pehlu Khan's family concocted attack story

Cops say Pehlu Khan's family concocted attack story

The investigation conducted by the Alwar Police has ruled out that key witnesses in the Pehlu Khan lynching case were shot at while they were travelling to Behror to appear before a court.

The police has said that the family concocted the incident just to get the case shifted from Behror to Alwar.

According to the Alwar Police, no evidence of a black SUV was found in the CCTV footage from a hotel near the spot where the key witnesses had alleged they were fired upon.

Khan's sons and lawyer had lodged an FIR saying that their car was attacked around 9 am on Saturday. However, the police has ruled out the possibility: "We scanned the CCTV footage of the spot and nearby places but is no evidence suggesting that a black coloured SUV was chasing the witnesses who were on their way to a Behror court to depose".

No clue in FSL report

The police had filed an FIR on Saturday evening and conducted the investigation over the next two days. In the FIR, Khan's son had mentioned that some men wanted to stop them from appearing before the court.

The police also found contradictions after speaking to the locals and shopkeepers on that stretch. "In the FIR his son had mentioned that firing took place near Duddeda. We spoke to the people, villagers and owners of restaurants and roadside eateries but all of them refused to have been a witness to such an incident," Singh said.

The police also claimed that the FSL team did not find any sign of tyres on the road. "There should have been signs of tyres of a vehicle applying immediate brakes. But nothing of that sort was found by the forensic team", Singh added.

The key witnesses and sons of Khan - a dairy farmer who was lynched in 2017 - had alleged that they were attacked by unknown men on NH-248 in Mewat region on Saturday morning. Apart from Khan's sons Irshad and Aarif, his lawyer Asad Hyatt was also in the car when the attack took place.

The Behror Police had also written a letter to the Superintendent of Police of Alwar and requested security for witnesses and police escort when they reach Rajasthan border to attend the hearing.

Khan, a 55-year-old dairy farmer, was beaten to death by an angry mob of cow vigilantes in Alwar's Nuh area on April 1, 2017, while he was on his way to Haryana after purchasing cattle in Rajasthan. He was accompanied by Azmat and Rafiq, who were also thrashed.