Techie run over by train while seeing parents off

Techie run over by train while seeing parents off

Vikram V

In a tragic accident, a 28-year-old software engineer working at Wipro, was run over by the Yeshwantpur-Kannur express at the Carmelaram railway station on Monday night. He had gone to the station to see off his parents, who visited him in the city.

The deceased has been identified as V Vikram, a native of Palakkad in Kerala. Vikram came to Bengaluru two years ago. His father, Vijayan, was also injured while trying to save him. Vijayan has been admitted to a private hospital.

A senior railway police officer said that Vikram had come to drop his parents at the Carmelaram railway station. The train had pulled in at around 8.45 pm.

While Vikram was helping with his parents’ luggage inside the compartment, the train suddenly started moving. An anxious Vikram jumped from the moving train. He slipped and fell in the gap between the train and the platform. Within seconds, he was run over.

His father who noticed it tried to rescue him, but, he too, fell onto the platform.

Family members said that for nearly three hours Vikram’s body was on the tracks, and the concerned railway officials did not show any interest in recovering the body.

Later, when the police arrived at the scene, they shifted Vikram’s body to the Bowring hospital.

After the autopsy, the body was handed over to the relatives. Since his father too was in the hospital, Vikram’s last rites were conducted in the city itself.

Shafeek, a family friend of Vikram, said that at small stations trains halt just for two minutes.”His parents were aged and they could not carry their luggage inside the train, so, he boarded the train, and within no time the train started moving. There should be an announcement in each station or signal before the train starts moving, like in the metro. There was even a bigger gap between the train and the platform, resulting in the mishap.”

He further added that Vikram’s body was left unattended for nearly 3 hours on the tracks. His mother, Vijaya Kumari, was inconsolable at the scene. The Baiyappanahalli railway police came very late to the spot, said Shafeek.