Kasab reappears on video link, smiles and yawns as usual

Kasab reappears on video link, smiles and yawns as usual

Kasab, who is lodged in the high security Arthur Road prison here, appeared at 11 am. However, 45 minutes later, he walked out after taking leave from the jail authorities.
On Wednesday, he threw tantrums by spitting at a webcam demanding to be physically present in the court. Kasab had refused to come for the hearing yesterday.

Kasab was today seen smiling, yawning, stretching and setting his hair on the video link as a division bench of justices Ranjana Desai and R V More was hearing arguments of government counsel Ujjwal Nikam.

In a related development, Jail Superintendent Rajendra Dhamane justified his stand of not allowing defence lawyer Amin Solkar to meet Kasab after court hours. He told the court that the rule could not violated in this case.

Dhamane said Solkar was welcome to meet Kasab before 6 pm on any working day and he would get 15 minutes grace period till 6.15 pm.

Solkar assured that he would abide by the rules and meet his client within the stipulated deadline (by 6 pm).

On Tuesday, Solkar was not allowed to meet Kasab as he had reached the jail after the close of working hours, at 6.30 pm. Since he made a grievance to the court, the prison superintendent was called to clarify.

The government counsel submitted before the court evidence of police constable Arun Jadhav, who had witnessed the killings of top police officers Hemant Karkare, Ashok Kamate and Vijay Salaskar outside Cama hospital.

As Nikam read out the statement of Jadhav, who was the lone survivor among the police officials in the incident outside Cama hospital, justice Ranjana Desai remarked, "He is the only survivor...It is a miracle."

The judges also asked the state to provide them with post mortem and panchnama reports of the three slain police officers. Nikam then read out portions pertaining to the incident from Kasab's confession before a magistrate.

The state counsel referred to the evidence of Sharan Arsa, whose Skoda car was stolen by Kasab and slain terrorist partner Abu Ismael near Vidhan Sabha in south Mumbai.
The terrorist duo after fleeing with the Skoda car were intercepted by police officials at Girgaum Chowpatty where Abu was killed in encounter while Kasab captured alive.

On May 6, the trial court had sentenced Kasab to death for his role in the killing of 166 people in the terror attacks on November 26, 2008. The capital punishment awarded to Kasab has been referred to the high court for confirmation.

The high court would also hear the appeal filed by Kasab against his conviction and death sentence as well as the appeal filed by the State against the acquittal of Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed, who were charged with conspiracy.

Faheem today pleaded that he wanted to see a dentist as he had a tooth problem. The court asked the authorities to take him to St George Hospital for treatment.

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox