Fake ICL player in police net

Fake ICL player  in police net

K R Somashekar

A native of Kalkere village in Arasikere taluk, he went about claiming that he played for the Indian Cricket League (ICL).

Susheelamma his accomplice is still at large.

Somashekar would impersonate Raviraj Patil, a cricketer from Mumbai playing for the ICL,  and befriend young women. After promising to marry them, he would collect money from them and abscond. He had also collected huge sums of money from several firms promising them advertisements from the BCCI and the KSCA.

According to police, he had allegedly partnered with Govardhan, a film producer, director and music composer, to cheat the firms. He had even duped several cine actors from Mumbai and Kerala, assuring them of a chance in cricket adverts.

Somashekar downloaded Raviraj’s original records, pasted his own photographs on them and advertised himself as the cricketer in newspapers.

He would introduce himself as Raviraj Patil and express his desire to meet the girls and their parents, after choosing them from matrimonial columns. That done, he would furnish the clippings of advertisements and dupe them.

Despite having cheated several girls and their parents in Belgaum, Gokak, Mangalore, Davangere and other places in the State, none of the victims complained to the police fearing their image would be tarnished, police said.

Threatens family

According to police, Somashekar visited Gangubai’s house at Siddapura in Karwar district and promised to marry her.

However, he demanded Rs two lakh before marrying Gangubai. When the girl’s family refused, he threatened them. He made Susheelamma, his accomplice, persuade Gangubai’s family members to part with money.

Held once

In 2005, Cubbon Park police imprisoned Somashekar for impersonating Sujit Somasundar, the then captain of Karnataka cricket team.

He collected money from several district-level cricket players promising them a place in the State team. However, he was arrested on a complaint lodged by Somasundar.

He was then sentenced to a year’s imprisonment by the Eighth Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Court.

Comments (+)