Tears of Karuna flow at Kani plight

Tears of Karuna flow at Kani plight

The 87-year-old DMK patriarch, accompanied by wife Rajathi Ammal, Kanimozhi's husband Aravindan and grand son Aditya, drove to the jail at around 5:30 pm.
He also met former telecom minister A Raja and family-run Kalaingar TV’s managing director Sharad Kumar, who are also lodged in the jail.

The former Tamil Nadu chief minister, who was planning to fly back to Chennai after meeting her, later chose to stay back and met Union Home Minister P Chidambaram.
Karunanidhi spent time talking to his daughter in the cramped room of the deputy superintendent of Jail Number 6. “The family had tea and the meeting lasted around 30 to 35 minutes,” sources said.

Director General (Prisons) Neeraj Kumar told reporters that Karunanidhi entered the jail through the administrative block as he enjoys Z-plus security. Kumar said a special request was made that as the DMK leader was wheelchair-bound a place should be arranged where he could easily visit the three accused.

“He was allotted a deputy superintendent’s room in Jail Number 6 since it is on the ground floor. While the family met Kanimozhi, the DMK leader met the two others alone,” he added.

Karunanidhi, who reached Tihar Jail in a Mercedes Benz, was accompanied by seven security cars and an ambulance. DMK leader Durai Murugan and K Ponmudi were also present, but stood outside Jail Number 6 with T R Baalu.

Later, DMK MP K P Ramalingam said: “It is purely a family visit and not a political one. That is why he did not meet UPA leaders,” he said. But Karunanidhi changed his mind after meeting Kanimozhi and did not take the 8 pm flight back home.

DGP (Prisons) Kumar said Kanimozhi had not sought any special facilities. “She sleeps on the floor. It was Raja who requested for some Tamil newspapers which are being provided,” he said.

At the Delhi High Court, which she moved on Monday seeking bail, Kanimozhi was seen playing with son Adithayan all through the proceedings. She hugged Adithayan several times and kept holding his hand.