Courses for working professionals

Courses for working professionals


Dear Sir,
I have a degree in Nursing and I am currently doing an internship. I want to pursue  M.Sc in Nursing. I would like to know more about an MBA in Nursing. I want to focus on Community Health. Are such courses available in Mangalore or Mysore?

Dear Pavithra,
While MBA in Nursing is not yet available, an equally suitable option would be for you to enroll for a Masters in Hospital Administration (MHA), or a PG programme in Hospital and Healthcare. These courses are being offered by some hospitals and universities, both in the distance learning mode as well as through contact classes.  Some institutes take only qualified medical doctors, but many others admit graduates from other streams also.  
Since you wish to focus on Community Health, you can take up a two-year Masters in Social Work (MSW) and specialise in Community Health.  Both Mysore and Mangalore have a number of good colleges offering MSW.  The Tata Institute of Social Science, Mumbai ( offers an 18-month (with contact classes) PG Diploma in Disaster Management.  As soon as you finish your Nursing course, it will be beneficial if you take up internship in any NGO working on Community Health projects.

Dear Sir,
I completed B.E (Civil) in  2002 and have since been working as assistant engineer in the Irrigation department with the Government of Karnataka. I want to pursue an M.Tech in Structural Engineering or Geo-Informatics through the in-service quota. Could you give me information on the admission process?

Dear Shahanur,
You will have to appear for the PG-CET conducted by Visvesvariah Technological University ( generally held in August every year, and on passing it you will be entitled to pursue M.E/M.Tech course.  
The college you select will depend on your merit rank and seat availability.  A similar process has to be followed if you are interested in pursuing your M.Tech at IITs or NITs.  However, autonomous universities have their own selection process.

Dear Sir,
 I have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Application and I work in a web hosting company in Mangalore. I want to pursue higher studies. I am interested in computers, but I have no idea about the courses that are available. My friends suggest that I do a course in CCNA. Would that be the right choice?

Dear Suneesh,
You may take up CCNA (Cisco Certified Networking Associate) only if you are genuinely interested in hardware and networking.  Though many private institutes offer coaching, passing the exam and getting the certification is tough.  If you are ambitious and willing to study for three years, then an MCA (Master of Computer Application) course would be a good option.  Eligibility is any degree (with Math or Computer at the +2 level).  If you have acquired an interest in any specific area of computers like software testing, animation, web-page design or technical writing, then you could pursue a job-oriented course in that field.

Dear Sir,
I’m a 1st PUC Commerce (CEBA) student. I’m planning to pursue MBA after my graduation. What are the additional courses that I have to take up? I’m interested in Global Marketing and Finance. Please guide me.

Dear Deepak,
You need to complete your 2nd PUC,  do a three/four year degree in any subject and only then will you be eligible to take up an MBA course. The best B schools, including the IIMs, offer admission based on the scores you obtain in the CAT exam (held online in December 2010).  Other management institutes go by MAT (which is held thrice a year), or their own admission process.  
Global Marketing and Finance continue to be lucrative careers and are likely to be so even after 7 years, when you will complete your MBA.

Dear Sir,
I am 22-year-old professional artist. I have been working in a studio for a year and a half after completing a three-year course in 3D animation. I did not complete Class 12 because of personal reasons but I’m hoping to continue my studies in any art related field. I would be very happy if you could tell me if there are any correspondence courses related to art in India.

Dear Reader,
It’s heartwarming that even after becoming a successful professional, you are motivated to enhance your skills. For those who are above 18 years, open universities offer, through a simple entrance exam, direct admission to three-year degree courses without any minimum qualification eligibility.  You can avail of this right now, since admissions to distance learning courses are closing.  If you enrol now, you will be a graduate in 2012.  You could also take up Bachelor in Computer Applications (BCA).  Some universities also offer B.Sc in Animation.  Ensure that you apply only to a university whose courses are approved by the Distance Education Council.  You can refer to for a list of approved courses.