'Separate probe wing planned in police force'

'Separate probe wing planned in police force'

The State government on Thursday said that it had decided to create an investigation wing in the police force, by separating it from the law and order wing.

In his submission before the High Court division bench comprising Chief Justice D H Waghela and Justice B V Nagarathna, during the hearing of a batch of petitions, Advocate General Ravivarma Kumar said the government was working on a module where investigation will be a separate wing to ensure transparency. “It will be done to reduce the pressure,” he said.
He said prosecution should not be under the control of the Home Department.

“It should be under the Law Department. In most countries, the public prosecutors are appointed by the attorney general. I have briefed the Chief Minister about this. We are working on it,“ he said.

Pointing out that conviction is less than 30 per cent, the bench said, “What are you doing for the conviction in remaining 70 per cent? Conviction rate in Japan is 99 per cent. In a small country like Israel, prosecution directly reports to Parliament. Parliament scrutinises every conviction as well as failure. Here, there is no such process.”

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily