A man & a woman forced me to call me dad & mom: Jahnvi

A man & a woman forced me to call me dad & mom: Jahnvi

Jahnvi Ahuja, the 3-year-old girl who was found eight days after she went missing from India Gate, has been chirpy since her return home and told her family that a man and a woman forced her to call them dad and mom.

A day after she was traced in Janakpuri area in West Delhi, Jahnvi's family members said she was in a happy state of mind and they were not quizzing the child about the events in the last few days.

They said she is having her favourite chocolates and mango juice and snacks and sleeping well since coming back home last night.

"We are extremely happy. It feels like she was reborn," her father Rajesh Ahuja said. Jahnvi's maternal uncle Gaurav Kakkad said she was in a "cheerful mood" and briefly described about the people who had taken her.

Police suspect an organised gang or a childless couple might have kidnapped Jhanvi who had gone missing under mysterious circumtances last Sunday from India Gate.

"Jahnvi told us that a lady whom she called mom cut her hair while a man had fed her. She told us that a man and a woman were forcing her to call them mom and dad", Kakkad said.

According to her uncle, "she is happy and doing fine. She is in a cheerful mood and having her favourites like chocolates, mango juice and snacks. We are not asking her questions about the last few days".

The girl was found in Lajvanti Garden Sabji Mandi locality in Janakpuri area by locals at around 8 PM. At that time,  a placard hanging from her neck which said" my name is Jahnvi, I had gone missing from India Gate." The placard also had her father's name and phone number.

The child was playing at India Gate lawns, where she had gone with her parents, when she went missing at around 9:30 PM. Initial investigation has indicated that those who had kept her captive for the past one week decided to release her under relentless pressure from police and due to media hype. Yesterday, Delhi Police Commissioner B S Bassi had announced a cash reward of Rs 50,000 for anybody who could help trace the girl.

Police have registered an FIR at Tilak Marg police station and several teams, including those from the Crime Branch and Special Cell, were working on the case. Photos of the three-year-old girl, requesting help from people to trace her had gone viral on social networking websites.

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox