Study abroad

Learn the local language

Study abroad

Dear Madam, 

I am a first year MBBS student. I am very keen on doing my PG in Japan. Can you guide me on the admission process there and also about the language barrier that I will have to face?

Dear Student,

The Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) promotes internationalisation of Japanese universities.

University of Tsukuba offers research and study programs for international students in the field of Medical Sciences. These programs are designed for students who have completed a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and wish to pursue in-depth study in the Medical Sciences and Public Health.

Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Program: MEXT offers scholarships to international students who wish to study as a graduate student at the Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences for the Master's Program in Medical Sciences and Doctoral Program in Biomedical Sciences.

All courses are offered in English for students to obtain a Master’s or Doctoral degree. Nevertheless, learning the local language is always an advantage especially in the job market. You have enough time to master the language before you head to Japan. 

Dear Madam,

I am currently in the 3rd year of BE, Biotechnology. I want to pursue masters in Germany or USA. My CGPA is 8.23. How should I proceed further and what is the admission process I need to follow? Also, how can I apply for scholarships? Please guide me through these queries. 


Dear Uzma,

Take the GRE and TOEFL exams. These exams are accepted in the USA and Germany. One year before the date of enrolment to your Master’s programme, you need to start the application process. Start working on your resume right now. This can be a work in progress until you apply to universities. 

Write an impressive statement of purpose, carry out some research work outside the requirement of your regular course work, gather some part time work experience and request three referees to write you letters of recommendation.

If it is Germany you wish to go to, start learning the language right now. Most German Universities are free so you don’t have to worry about scholarships. If you apply to the US, you can apply for teaching assistantships and research assistantships. For a step by step guidance on the admission process visit

Dear Madam,I want to pursue my Bachelor’s in the UK but I hear it can be very expensive. Can you suggest some good universities that offer scholarships?Neha Ramgopal

Dear Neha,

Most universities in the UK generally offer international students any thing between 1000 to 3000 GBP as scholarship per year. University of Westminster London which is known for its courses in Media and Journalism, Business, Photography, Architecture, Life Sciences etc offers both undergraduate and graduate students the maximum number of scholarships. They offer full scholarship, full tuition waiver, half tuition fee waiver and part tuition fee waiver. For more details visit

Dear Madam,

I have completed my MTech in the field of Electronics from a decent college in Bangalore. I would like to know the procedures and criteria to pursue a PhD abroad, especially in the USA, Germany, Canada and UK. My specialisation is in Embedded systems and VLSI. Also, I would like to ask that since I have completed Master’s in 2014, should I work for few years before pursuing PhD or should I go for it now?


Dear Sagar,

To pursue a PhD, it is very important to be able to demonstrate your interest in research work. First identify the specific area of your subject in which you wish to carry out your research. Go on the internet and search the top universities. See which of them offers PhD in your specialisation. 

Research the works of some of the professors in your field. Correspond with them. Tell them about your interest in their subject and why you wish to study and work with them. 

The application process is not very difficult. Getting a professor to accept you is the tough part. You must convince the professor that you will be an asset to their department. Apart from your personal statement and research synopsis, you must have some writing samples to show that you have carried out research work outside the requirement of your regular course work.

PhD programs are generally fully funded in most universities. This is a long process, so I suggest you take up a job for now and work on this simultaneously.

Dear Madam, 

I am currently pursuing my first year BA in CEP (Communication and Media Studies, English and Psychology). I would like to know in which universities I could pursue a Master’s in Mass Media or New Media, abroad, preferable the USA. Also, it would be great if you could throw some light on the cost and the scholarships available. What exams should I be taking?


Dear Student,

Most of the universities in the USA offer Masters in Mass Media or New Media. If you have a high GPA, apply to the Ivy Leagues. The costs in US universities will be in the range of 40,000 to 70,000 USD per year. Scholarships are available but limited. Teaching assistantships and research assistantships are an option. The only exams you need to take are the GRE and TOEFL.

Liked the story?

  • 0

  • 0

  • 0

  • 0

  • 0