Admission: Dept wants to stick to guidelines

Ahead of admissions for various schools in the next academic year, the Department of Public Instruction has issued a set of regulations for admissions to students in unaided schools of the district.

The directions issued on February 28, are to ensure transparency in admission to 75 per cent of the seats of schools, as the remaining 25 per cent are allotted under Right to Education, Deputy Director of Public Instruction, H R Basappa, said.

Schools have been instructed to put up a flex (4 feet x 6 feet) in front of their campus, which should consist details regarding the number of available seats, medium of instruction and monthly tuition fees at the school.

 As several schools have failed to mention school fees in their prospectus, the circular also mandates the school to do so. Details of fees should also be put up on the school notice board and also the website of the Department of Public Instruction.  
The circular prohibits schools from charging donation and capitation fees from students.

In case of a complaint that parents were forced to pay capitation fees, the department has been empowered to levy 10 times the capitation fee as fine for schools.

The circular, has also prohibited schools from charging exorbitant fees for transfer certificates, study certificate and other certificates of a student. Fees for the documents have been fixed at Rs 25. In case the documents are pertaining to a student who has left the school three years ago, the schools can levy an additional Rs 25 for the same, the circular read.

Apart from it, interviewing students or parents prior to admission, has also been prohibited.

Basappa, on the implementation of the guidelines, said that the District Level Education Regulating Authority, will monitor whether the directions are being followed by educational institutions in the district.

If a complaint is filed by a parent, against any school for violating the guidelines, Deputy Commissioner, who is the chairperson of the Authority, has powers to take action against the schools, he added. Shivaramegowda, Block Education Officer, Mysuru South, said that meetings have been held with school authorities regarding the issue.

 “While a majority of unaided schools follow the guidelines, about 10-15 per cent of the schools cause problems. Such schools are being monitored,” he said.

RTE seats

RTE seats continued to attract a large number of applications from economically backward sections of the society.

While the Department had announced a total of 4,137 seats under RTE (2,597-LKG; 1,540-first standard), a total of 16,574 applications (9,973-LKG; 6,601-first standard), almost four times the number of seats available, were received.
Among the educational blocks, highest number of applications were received for Mysuru North educational block, which received 5,423 applications for 916 available seats.


DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)