Parents of seven-year-old Vaishnavi, who died after she was attacked by a swarm of bees at Lalbagh on August 15, does not want a similar fate to befall any other parent.
They met officials of the Horticulture department on Thursday and suggested a series of measures to be taken to avoid such incidents. Speaking to Deccan Herald, Vaishnavi’s father Guruprasad recalled the events on the fateful day. “It took us half-an-hour to take her to the hospital. There were no officials from the department in sight. Nor did the police help us. It was other visitors who responded to our cry for help,” he said.
“We had a discussion with the officials and proposed a couple of measures to ensure that an incident of this sort does not recur. Organising large-scale events like Independence Day in a better way was among the points discussed. A couple of suggestions we made have been accepted and the Horticulture department is working on implementing them,” he said.
The Horticulture department, soon after the meeting, worked out a plan of action. First-aid boxes and nylon nets would be placed at Lalbagh on Friday, besides notice boards warning people about the dos and don’ts near bee hives.
Dr M Jagadeesh, joint director, Horticulture department (Lalbagh), said, “We have started installing first-aid boxes at 15 strategic locations like gates, offices of director, deputy director, glass house, band stand and Bonsai circle. This apart, we have installed five suggestion boxes at all four gates and one at glass house.”
Jagadeesh said that the department was also identifying trees where the hives could pose danger. “There is one particular tree where the beehive is just 150 feet above ground level. With the help of experts and apiculturists, this will be covered and the colony will be shifted. This will be done on Saturday. This is the first such incident in Lalbagh,” he said.
Dr Ravi Keerthi, consultant, internal medicine, BGS Global Hospitals, said, “There is nothing like first aid in such cases. The only way out is to rush the patient to the hospital where anti-allergic medication will be administered. In extreme cases, they might be given adrenaline injections.” He said bee stings are fatal as they lead to Anaphylaxis (serious and rapid allergy). A sapling will be planted at Lalbagh in Vaishnavi’s memory, said an official of the department.