R'than acts after child gang-raped

R'than acts after child gang-raped

Rights panel now orders probe, 2 cops suspended

The Rajasthan Human Rights Commission Saturday ordered a probe into the kidnap and gang-rape of five-year-old girl in Sikar district.

The girl sustained severe injuries and has been admitted to J K Lone Hospital in Jaipur. Doctors said the girl’s condition is critical and surgery has been done.

“She is under critical condition. There are severe internal injuries and it may take two-three months to heal. She needs to be in hospital for at least two weeks. One surgery has been done,” J K Lone Hospital superintendent Dr Ashok Gupta said.

The incident has shocked the public in Rajasthan as police refused to register a case and help the victim’s family. The family members kept shuttling between police outpost and police station throughout the night, but everyone refused to help them.

A case was only registered the next morning when the matter reached Sikar SP Akhilesh Singh. Two officers deputed to the police outpost have been suspended and inquiry has been initiated.According to police, the girl’s mother sells glassware and she was sleeping on the pavement when her daughter was kidnapped. The mother woke up 3.30 am and found the girl missing.

She immediately alerted other people on the pavement, after which they approached the police outpost, some 200 metres from the spot. Police refused to help her, following which she contacted the main police station. It was during this shuttling from the police outpost to the station that the mother found her wounded daughter early in the morning on a heap of garbage near some bushes.

Police have detained two suspects and investigation is in full swing. “We detained two suspects, Ram Singh and Babulal. Officers at the police outpost have been suspended. I am monitoring the case,” Akhilesh Kumar said.

According to police, the girl was admitted to a local hospital in Sikar district and later referred to J K Lone in Jaipur.

State Medical and Health Minister Rajendra Rathore visited the hospital and announced free medical treatment. Leaders of several political parties and members of social organisations also visited the hospital.

The Rajasthan Human Rights Commission chairperson H R Kudi said it was a very horrific incident and legal action will be taken against public servants who were found guilty of mishandling the case.

“We have ordered a probe into this case. Inquiry will be conducted by IG Human Rights Sunil Dutt. We visited the hospital and met her family members. The commission will pursue the case till the end,” Kuri added.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
Comments (+)