PG students petition RGUHS VC not to postpone exams

PG students petition RGUHS VC not to postpone exams
Post-graduate medical students of Karnataka have petitioned the vice chancellor of Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS) not to postpone the final year exams any further.

In their petition, a section of the students have said, “Due to various reasons, the final year PG examinations have already been postponed once. The health varsity is likely to postpone the exams further, quoting the guidelines of Medical Council of India. The exams were earlier scheduled for April.

Any such postponement would affect the interest of students who have to appear for super-speciality entrance exams to be held in June - July. While nearly 80% of the PG students are completing the 3-year PG courses by May 31, the rest 20% will complete their course in July. The university must conduct the final exams in June so that students can prepare for super-speciality courses, the students urged.

The varsity cannot quote the MCI guidelines to postpone the exams. The guidelines stipulate that students have to complete 3-year course for the degree to be recognised and to obtain degree certificate besides having 80% attendance. But it has not mandated that itnecessary to complete the course and take certificate for appearing for further studies is the argument put forth by the students.

They told the vice chancellor that a lot of students who complete the course by next month would go without stipend if the exam results are announced late. In addition, an year would go waste as they would not be eligible to appear for super-speciality courses. Moreover, around 1,700 qualified specialists with PG degree will be deprived of taking up job for at least six months.

The varsity, which would be holding its syndicate meeting on Saturday, is likely to take a final call on the exams for the final year PG students, sources said.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry