Clashes erupt in Kashmir as authorities foil sepratists Shopian march

Clashes erupt in Kashmir as authorities foil sepratists Shopian march

Clashes erupt in Kashmir as authorities foil sepratists Shopian march

Clashes between stone pelters and security forces erupted at several places in Kashmir on Friday as authorities imposed restrictions to foil a march called by separatists to Shopian against the killing of a civilian in forces firing earlier this week.

22-year-old Adil Magrey was killed when security forces opened fire on protesters who were trying to disrupt an anti-militancy operation in Ganwapora village of Shopian district on Tuesday evening.

Separatist leaders had called for a shutdown and protests after Friday congregational prayers against the killing. They had also asked people from all over south Kashmir to march towards Shopian to Magrey’s residence. Fearing law and order problem, authorities imposed curfew like restrictions in Nowhatta, Rainawari, Khanyar, MR Gunj, Kralkhud, Maisuma and Safa Kadal areas of Srinagar. Similar restrictions were also imposed in Anantnag, Shopian, Pulwama, Kulgam, Baramulla, Budgam, Ganderbal, Bandipora and Kupwara districts of the violence-hit valley.

Authorities had closed all gates of Jamia Masjid in old city Srinagar and sealed all routes leading to the historical mosque to prevent people from gathering for weekly congregational prayers in view of call for protests by the sepratists. The authorities also placed moderate Hurriyat chairman and chief cleric Mirwaiz Umar Farooq under house detention last evening.

Police also detained pro-independence JKLF chief Yasin Malik in Sarai Bala area of Srinagar where he was leading a protest rally after congregational prayers. However, despite restrictions stone pelting youths clashed with security forces across the Valley, reports said.

A police spokesperson said barring five stray incidents of stone pelting, situation across the valley remained under control till evening. "At these places miscreants in their attempt to disrupt the situation pelted stones on police and security forces deployment. The deployment used maximum restraint and chased the miscreants away," he said.

All shops and other business establishments remained closed in Srinagar while public transport was off the roads. Similar reports of shutdown were also received from other district headquarters of the valley.

All educational institutions were shut down to prevent students from protesting and the Kashmir University postponed all exams scheduled for the day. Intra-Kashmir train services also remained suspended while authorities also cut off high-speed mobile internet service in Kashmir. People could use 2G services only.

The insurgency-hit Kashmir has been rocked by months of unrest and stone pelting over alleged human rights abuses by security forces.