Petition in SC against bail to 2008 Malegaon blast accused

Petition in SC against bail to 2008 Malegaon blast accused

Petition in SC against bail to  2008 Malegaon blast accused
A petition was on Thursday filed in the Supreme Court, challenging the Bombay High Court’s order granting bail to Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, an accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case.
The plea has sought a stay on the high court’s April 25 order. The high court had granted relief, saying there was “prima facie no evidence against her”.

Petitioner Nisar Ahmed Haji Sayed Bilal, father of one of the blast victims, has charged that Pragya is a “powerful” person and could influence witnesses in the case.

The plea has claimed that there was ample evidence against her and “her role, involvement and complicity in planning and executing the conspiracy for committing the Malegaon blast is writ large on the case record”.

“Pragya Singh Thakur coordinated with a co-accused for providing explosives to her confidantes/absconding accused,” it said. The petition said that she had been denied bail by a special court in Mumbai several times in 2011, 2012, 2015 and 2016 on the ground that “a prima facie case is clearly made out against her”.

Pragya was granted bail by the high court, which, however, had refused similar relief to co-accused Lt Col Prasad Purohit. Seven people were killed in a bomb blast on September 29, 2008, at Malegaon, a communally sensitive textile town in Nasik district of north Maharashtra.
DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)