Mumbai MRI death bizarre: docs

The death of a person inside an MRI machine is more absurd than ignorance, say doctors in the city.

A 32-year-old man was killed after he was pinned by a leaking oxygen cylinder to an MRI  machine in a hospital in Mumbai on Saturday evening.

Dr Balaji Pai, professor and HOD, neurosurgery, Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, described the incident as "very strange".

"Even if the magnetic force was pulling the oxygen cylinder towards him, ideally the man should have let go. Instead, he held on firmly, which might have resulted in his death. Of course, it is total negligence and ignorance on the part of the staff at the hospital to allow a person to enter the room while the machine is switched on," said Pai, also the special officer at the trauma centre, Victoria Hospital.

Dr S D Madhu, associate professor, department of radiology, Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology, said MRI machines are fitted with very powerful magnets that can even pull small metal objects towards them.  

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry