3 more killed in Kashmir

Last Updated : 17 September 2010, 19:15 IST
Last Updated : 17 September 2010, 19:15 IST

Follow Us :


Reports said a 22-year-old youth, Fayaz Ahmad Dar, was killed in security forces firing at Churpora-Narbal in Budgam district in the morning. Four others sustained bullet injuries in the incident. The condition of one of them is said to be critical.Local people said the demonstration was peaceful but the security forces opened fire without any provocation.
However, a police spokesman said, “The protestors defied curfew, turned violent and pelted stones on security personnel, who had to open fire.”

After the firing, more people joined the protests and the security forces had to leave the place.In another incident at Tappar-Pattan in north Kashmir, security forces opened fire on protestors killing one person and injuring four others.

The deceased was identified as 25-year-old Ghulam Rasool Dar. Here too, the local people said the firing was unprovoked, but according to the police  the protesters pelted stones on the men in uniform. With the latest killings, the death toll in security forces and police firing on protestors in Jammu and Kashmir has gone upto 99.

One person was killed in security forces firing at SheermalShopian in south Kashmir.
Security forces also opened fire on protestors at Sangrama injuring three and at Chichilora injuring one.After Friday prayers, people defied curfew restrictions at over dozens of places and held demonstrations.

Police and security forces opened fire in air, burst smoke shells and resorted to cane charge to disperse protestors. The protestors retaliated by pelting stones. Over 32 persons were injured in the clashes.

For the first time during the last four months of civilian unrest in Kashmir, the Army was deployed along with police and CRPF to enforce curfew.Army men were pressed into service following a joint strategy formulated by the Army, the police and the civil administration two days back to counter the protest and strike proagramme of hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani.

While the presence of Army personnel was not much in Srinagar city they were deployed in strength outside Srinagar, particularly in rural areas.The Armymen were deployed along Srinagar airport road and on Srinagar bypass to facilitate the safe movement of government vehicles. |

Kashmir got connected by air with rest of the country on Friday after three days following resumption of flights from Srinagar airport.The airport was closed since September 3 for repair work and the flights were operating from Awantipora air base. But due to intensifying of the protest and violence, the flights were suspended.

It happened after 11 years that flights were suspended due to security reasons.
No local newspaper could hit the stands for the seventh consecutive day on Friday.
“We are unable to function as the police and security men are not honouring the curfew passes on the ground and are beating the media persons,” said Javid Ahmad, manager of a local daily.

Published 17 September 2010, 07:01 IST

Follow us on :

Follow Us