Cotton bales worth over Rs 50 lakh were reduced to ashes in a fire at a godown belonging to Ashok Trading Company, in Savadatti town during the early hours of Tuesday.
The exact cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained.
Fire department personnel suspect a short circuit, or a lighted beedi/cigarette could have sparked off the flames.
Godown owner Ashok Chopra had stored cotton bales worth over Rs 50 lakh, maize and other farm produce worth over Rs 1 lakh in the godown.
Two fire tenders were used to douse the fire.
Savadatti police have registered a case.