Few takers for 'Solar City' projects in Mysore

Few takers for 'Solar City' projects in Mysore

Only one project 'on the verge of completion', in three years

Few takers for 'Solar City' projects in Mysore

The ambitious ‘Solar City’ project of the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), which envisioned reducing the use of conventional energy sources is progressing at a snail’s pace.

Mysore was among the two cities in the State, apart from Hubli-Dharwad, selected in 2011 under the scheme, which aimed at reducing energy consumption from conventional sources by ten per cent within five years of its implementation.

Three years later, only one project related to the scheme has been implemented.
Speaking to Deccan Herald, Subramanya K L, section officer of Mysore Solar  City Cell said that five pilot projects have been approved at present, but only one project taken up at Kuppanna Park, is on the verge of completion.

Apart from it, Detailed Project Reports (DPR) for solar units to be installed at the main building of Mysore City Corporation (MCC) at the cost of Rs 1.02 crore, MCC Zone 7 building (Rs 45 lakh), Mysore Urban Development Authority (MUDA) building (Rs 1.27 crore) and Cheluvamba Park have been sent to MNRE.

In addition to it, the Solar City Cell of MCC has sent requisitions to Zilla Panchayat, Chamundeshwari Electricity Supply Corporation Limited, Karnataka Industrial Area Development Board and other government offices to install solar units.

Even though requests have been sent to private industries, there has been no encouraging response to install these units, he said.


Apart from the lack of interest in installing the units, authorities have blamed elections and lack of qualified agencies to install the solar equipment as the cause for the delay in the scheme.

Under the scheme, MNRE provides 30 per cent subsidies for the installation of solar equipment, while the remaining 70 per cent has to be borne by beneficiary organisations or individuals. Subramanya said that there has been close to 50 per cent decline in the price of these equipment. However, interest to install the equipment was lacking, he added.

“Moreover, there are only a few technically qualified agencies with expertise in installing these equipment, as per MNRE regulations.

 As a result, for the installation of a unit at Kuppanna Park we had to invite tender thrice,” Subramanya said.

Suresh Kumar Jain, president of Mysore Industries Association said that Mysore Solar City Cell has not approached industries for installation of solar equipment. Even though the industries are ready to install the units, additional subsidies are required as the instruments are costly. Solar units can be very useful for running small motors and micro industries in the region, he added.

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox