Services hit for an hour; doors didn't open for 10 mins

Services hit for an hour; doors didn't open for 10 mins

A combo picture of the youth, who attempted suicide at the National College Metro station, being rescued. (Extreme right) Chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy talks to the victim.

Metro operations on Green Line were disrupted on Friday morning after a youth jumped on tracks at the National College Metro station. The 18-year old tailor escaped death and is recovering in hospital.

The Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Limited (BMRCL) said the incident happened at 11.21 am. “Immediately, the train was stopped by applying emergency brakes. The action was taken to rescue the passenger. (He) was given medical attention and shifted to a hospital (sic),” Chief Public Relations Officer B L Yashavanth Chavan said in a release.

A CCTV feed showed the youth standing towards the backend of the platform, meant for the extended coaches of the six-car train and jumping on the tracks just seconds before the train arrived at the station.

BMRCL staffers acted quickly and removed the unconscious youth from the tracks. Senior officials, including the corporation’s Managing Director Ajay Seth, rushed to the spot to oversee the rescue operation. “Luckily, he did not come in contact with the third rail. There was no serious external injury. However, we have taken him to the hospital for further assistance,” he said.

Train operations were disrupted for nearly an hour as the emergency trip system, which was activated during the rescue operation, had to be restored. Commuters said trains on track at the time of the accident were delayed by 10 to 15 minutes.

“I was on a train from Jayanagar and it came to a grinding halt at the National College Metro Station. The doors did not open for nearly 10 minutes. It was obvious that something was wrong. Later, on the platform, we enquired with other passengers and found that a man has fallen on the tracks,” P S Tarun, a commuter, told DH.

An announcement was made at all stations about the delay of trains. Some frustrated commuters chose to leave the platform at Jalahalli in search of an alternative mode of transport. For some time trains from Nagasandra operated till the Kempegowda Metro station in Majestic while the southern side of the Green Line did not see any train for nearly 15 minutes. Operations resumed at 12.08 pm.