Tea leaves a tragedy in its wake

Family suffers aftermath of drinking toxin-filled brew

A man and his daughter who took ill after drinking tea mixed with a toxic substance lie in a hospital in Bijapur. dh photo

Bannavva Thippegol (62) is the dead woman. Her husband Thippanna (70) and daughter Lakshmibai (30) have been admitted to a private hospital here.
In her hurry to make tea for the two, Bannavva used the substance used to kill lice, instead of tea powder, it is learnt.

Soon, the father and daughter fell to the ground and began writhing. A horrified Bannavva realised her blunder and died of a heart attack, according to police.

Deputy Superintendent of Police M Muthuraj said it was a mistake that led to the tragedy. “The family is extremely poor and lived in a one-room shack. For lack of space, they had stored both edible and toxic stuff together, and Bannavva mistook the anti-lice powder as it resembled tea dust, and used it to make tea,” Muthuraj said.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry