Six fire personnel injured in Mangalore mishap

 
Mishap: Fire broke out in the Trade Centre building located at Jyoti Circle, in Mangalore on Wednesday. DH photo However, no casualties were reported. Over 70 people, who were stuck in the building, were rescued. Property worth approximately Rs 50 lakh has been damaged.

Witnesses say that the fire broke out in a godown belonging to J P Lights and Appliances, on the third floor of the building.

The fire, which broke out at about 10.55 am, is said to have been due to a short-circuit.

In just about fifteen minutes, members of the Fire Force began to evacuate the building, and attempted to put out the fire.

About 90 fire personnel, 13 water tenders, and three fire engines, along with one advanced rescue van, were at the spot to handle the situation.

Difficult operation

Addressing the reporters after the completion of the operation, Chief Fire Officer H S Varadarajan said that it was indeed a difficult operation, as the building had no fire safety system in place at all.

“According to building codes, high-rise buildings should have two staircases and elevators. But this building, which has 10 floors, has only one staircase. None of the floors had a water hydrant. If water hydrants were in place, the operation would have been much easier,” he said.

A suo motu case will be filed against the union of occupants in this regard, the officer added.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry