Police look for accused in Mumbai

Police look for accused in Mumbai

8 Bihar families check if Falak is their missing child

Teams of Delhi Police on Saturday were camping at Mumbai's Thane area to trace a 22-year-old man involved in inflicting brutality on abandoned baby, Falak. Police are questioning relatives of the alleged main accused in Mumbai.

“He fled before we arrived there. His Mumbai mobile number is under surveillance. He switched on his phone on Saturday for a minute or two,” said a police officer.

The police said the main accused, identified as Raj Kumar,   gave Falak to a 14-year-old girl, who claimed to be her ‘mother’. Falak was abandoned at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences on January 18 with serious injuries, including human bite marks.

The investigator said medical tests have confirmed that the minor girl is not Falak’s biological mother.

Raj Kumar came to Delhi a few years ago and started living at Mahipalpur and bought two cabs.

“He was driving one cab and gave the other on rent. He used to dupe foreigners, who came to visit Delhi. He was a tout. But no case has been registered against him in the national capital,” said a senior police officer adding that they have impounded his cabs.
Police is also putting a lot of pressure on Raj Kumar's relatives and friends to make him surrender. Police, however,  denied any arrest or detention in the case.

“We have found leads in the case and our teams are looking for Raj Kumar in Mumbai,” said Ajay Chaudhary, additional commissioner of police (south east).

Police said the child had passed through the hands of five persons in four months before she was admitted to AIIMS Trauma Centre on January 18. They have been identified as Munni, Laxmi and Manoj besides Raj Kumar and the minor girl.

“Laxmi and Manoj have joined police interrogation in the case,” police added.

Police also said that the kid first came to Munni, then it went to Laxmi after that to Manoj and then to Raj Kumar. Raj Kumar on January 13 handed Falak to the minor girl, saying that she was his friend’s daughter and he was adopting her.

Police is tight-lipped over why and how Falak was passed over from one person to another in last four months.

“Lot of names have surfaced in the case and we have been questioning these people. We hope to arrest the culprits soon and solve the case,” said Chaudhary.

Meanwhile, eight families from Bihar have approached the police on getting information through internet about the girl and claimed that Falak could be their daughter.

All the families claimed that the girl child went missing in mysterious circumstances.