CBI officer who probed 2G scam dead

Suresh Kumar Palsania, a CBI officer who had led a probe into the 2G telecom spectrum scam, was cremated at his native village in Rajasthan this afternoon.

Palsania, 44, who died here last night while battling leukemia at a city hospital here, is survived by a wife and a 10-year-old son.

Recipient of this year's Police Medal for meritorious service, Palsania was a 1996 batch IPS officer from Odisha cadre and had joined CBI in 2006 and served in Policy Division and Anti-Corruption Branch here where he handled major corruption cases like 2G and CWG among others.

He had led a meticulous probe into the 2G spectrum scam.

The pyre was lit by his son at Jaswant Pura in Rajasthan as several CBI officers and state police men paid their last respects to the officer.

"We are all shocked and devastated by the sudden demise of Suresh Palsania who was one of the most outstanding officers of CBI. I, as Director, was closely associated with him in the 2G case which he was supervising.

"I can say without doubt that his ability, competence and complete understanding of the subject was absolutely brilliant. His is a great loss not only to CBI but the whole IPS community. He was a warm, smiling and cheerful personality who will be deeply missed by all.

"Our hearts go out to his family specially his wife Seema and their young son. On behalf of CBI, we assure them of all help and support during this very difficult period," CBI Director A P Singh said in his message.

Palsania shot to limelight as an upright officer who never came under the pressure of high and mighty while probing cases of 2G telecom spectrum scam. He led a team of bright officers who ensured that all the accused are brought to book.

He was also supervising the probe into the Commonwealth Games and Aircel-Maxis case besides other cases.

Officers close to him said he complained of dizziness in office on October 20. The pathological results showed he had leukaemia for which chemotherapy was being administered in the hospital but during the couse he contracted chest infection which proved fatal.

Known as an astute investigator, Palsania filed the charge sheet in the case booking the then Telecom Minister A Raja and DMK leader Kanimozhi besides number of top honchos of telecom companies.

Palsania had walked out of a meeting with a senior government law officer who wanted to discuss the strategy on 2G case with him along with the lawyer of one of the influential accused who was in jail, CBI sources said.

He had recently visited Malaysia and other countries to pursue the quick processing of the Letters Rogatory in connection with the case.

Palsania also initiated a probe in the Commonwealth Games scam and was also in the two-member team that had gone to London to probe Suresh Kalmadi's role in the Queen's Baton Relay controversy.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
Comments (+)