ASI suspended for torturing boy

An Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI) of police attached to Kamakshipalya police station was suspended on Friday for allegedly subjecting a minor boy to third-degree treatment by tying a string around his genitals and preventing him from passing urine.

Thimmegowda meted out the treatment to Manjunath (name changed) to extract information about a jewellery theft.

The cop also brutally thrashed the boy who had to be admitted to a private hospital for treatment.

The incident, which took place on Wednesday, came to light on Friday, police said.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (West Division) S N Siddaramappa suspended Thimmegowda based on a report.

“We will register a case against the ASI if the victim lodges a complaint and we will thoroughly investigate the matter. We will ensure justice to the victim,” he told Deccan Herald.

Earlier in the day, hundreds of activists of various organisations and members of Manjunath’s family staged a protest in front of Kamakshipalya police demanding action against Thimmegowda.

Vijayanagar sub-division Assistant Commissioner of Police M K Utthappa rushed to the spot and pacified the protesters. “I have submitted a detailed report to my higher-ups recommending the ASI’s immediate suspension. We will conduct an inquiry and bear the medical expenses of the victim,” he said.

Manjunath, a resident of Sri Ramanagar in Kamakshipalya, was employed at a Bata showroom. He had started to live with his uncle Ramesh after his parents passed away a few years ago.

Ramesh stayed in the ground floor of a house owned by Nanjaiah near Anjenaya Temple. Nearly 800 gram of ornaments were stolen a month ago from Nanjaiah’s house and he lodged a complaint with the Kamakshipalya police suspecting Manjunath’s involvement.

Thimmegowda picked up Manjunath on Wednesday and after bringing him to the police station, tied a string across the boy’s genitals for hours and prevented him from urinating. When Manjunath began to bleed from his private parts, the ASI, fearing consequences, dropped him off at his house the next day around 4 pm, the boy’s relatives said.

On reaching home, Manjunath broke down and narrated the brutal torture he had suffered at the hands of Thimmegowda.

He was rushed to a hospital after complaining of acute pains and a difficulty in passing urine. “He is out of danger but it will take him a couple of weeks to recover completely,” hospital staff said.

The incident brings to attention heavy-handed methods by police. Two brutal incidents of police torture were reported in a single week in the City’s west division.

Karthik, a 23-year-old auto driver, allegedly consumed poison near Shankarnag bus stop at Kaveripura in Basaveshwarnagar on Sunday night, as he reportedly could not bear police torture.

Karthik was said to have been detained in connection with a murder case.
He survived the suicide bid after local residents noticed him lying unconscious on the roadside and shifted him to a hospital.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
Comments (+)