Rape victim's condition worsens with organ failure

Rape victim's condition worsens with organ failure

Dwindling hopes: She has significant brain injury

Rape victim's condition worsens with organ failure

The travails of the 23-year-old woman, whose rape sparked public  outrage in the national capital, are far from over even though she was flown to Singapore for receiving better treatment.

The health condition of the woman, who had displayed great resilience to come out of three surgeries in 12 days, has deteriorated in the last 24 hours, with doctors keeping their fingers crossed over “signs of severe organ failure.”

“As of 9 pm Singapore time, (6:30 pm IST), the patient’s condition has taken a turn for the worse. Her vital signs are deteriorating with signs of severe organ failure. This despite doctors fighting for her life, including putting her on maximum artificial ventilation support, optimal antibiotic doses, as well as stimulants which maximise her body’s capability to fight infections,” Kelvin Loh, CEO of the Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore, which specialises in transplant surgeries, said in a statement. “The High Commission of India is with her and her family at this critical time. Our medical team continues to provide all possible treatment and care.”

Her family has been apprised of the physiotherapist’s deteriorating health. The patient had “significant brain injury” and was fighting for life at the intensive care unit, the hospital  said earlier in the day. “Our medical team’s investigations upon her arrival at hospital on Thursday showed that in addition to her prior cardiac arrest, she also had infection in lungs and abdomen, as well as significant brain injury. The patient is currently struggling and fighting for her life,” Loh said.

As on 11 am Singapore time (around 8:30 am in India), the patient continued to remain extremely critical, he added. The woman was flown to Singapore on Wednesday night in an air ambulance and reportedly underwent an emergency procedure on board to stabilise her fluctuating blood pressure.

A multi-disciplinary team of specialists had been working on the woman since her arrival. They are doing everything possible to stabilise her condition over the next few days, Loh said.

Indian High Commissioner to Singapore T C A Raghavan visited the hospital on Friday and met the woman’s family.