Missing teen found dead

Missing teen found dead

Test says he died 3 days ago, family suspects cops son

 A 16-year-old class 11 student, who was missing since January 17, was found dead under mysterious circumstances in a public toilet of Chankayapuri’s police memorial park on Tuesday.

Shivam Rawat lived near Jammu and Kashmir Guest House in Chankyapuri along with his parents and two sisters, and was a student at Air Force School in Subroto Park. Police said Shivam’s body was discovered when the guard of Vishwa Yuvak Kendra went to answer nature’s call on Tuesday morning.

“The door of the toilet was locked from inside, but it opened when he pulled it,” a police official said.

A call was made to the police control room following which crime and forensic teams were sent to the spot. Shivam’s body was taken to Dr Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, where initial medical examination revealed that he died around three days ago.

His mobile phone was also found in his pocket. “We switched on the phone and called Shivam’s family members,” the official added.

Sources said a bottle of sodium nitrate was also found in his pocket hinting at possible suicide.

Angry relatives and neighbours protested outside Chanakyapuri police station alleging that a juvenile son of a police official was behind the incident.

“Son of a police official posted with Chankayapuri police station had taken our son to Chandni Chowk on January 14. We doubt that he could be behind the incident,” a close relative said.

Shivam’s cousin sister Geeta said it was hard to believe that the body was inside a public toilet right outside Chankayapuri police station and police were unaware of it. Police said they were looking into the matter and denied that role of the juvenile.

The police official said Shivam’s body has been sent for a post-mortem and section of 302 (murder) of the Indian Panel Code will be added in the FIR on the basis of the autopsy report.

According to Shivam’s family, he did not go to school on January 17 as he was not feeling well. “Around 3 pm, he told his mother that he had some work and left home,” Geeta said.

His parents got suspicious when he did not return till late evening. They searched him in nearby areas and called his friends, but he was not found. Shivam was carrying a mobile phone, but it was switched off. Family members then approached police and got a missing person FIR registered.

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox

Check out all newsletters

Get a round-up of the day's top stories in your inbox