Death toll in Valley protests against Guru hanging rises to 3

Death toll in Valley protests against Guru hanging rises to 3

Death toll in Valley protests against Guru hanging rises to 3

A youth shot in firing by security forces during protests in the Kashmir Valley against the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru died early today taking the death toll to three since clashes broke out last Saturday.

As the Valley remained under curfew for the third day today, official sources said the situation was by and large peaceful with no reports of any untoward incident from anywhere in the Valley.

Jammu and Kashmir government in a revised press statement during the day deleted a reference to the earlier announcement of a magisterial inquiry into the incidents leading to the death of the three youths during the protests.

The first statement by an official spokesman earlier quoted Divisional Commissioner, Kashmir, Asgar Samoon about directions being given for conducting a magisterial probe.

Samoon when contacted said the matter regarding any magisterial probe has not been decided yet and that the state goernment may take a view later.

Ubaid Mushtaq, who was injured allegedly in firing by security forces at Watergam village in Baramulla district yesterday, succumbed to injuries at 3 AM, Medical Superintendent of SKIMS Hospital Aijaz Mustafa said.

Two youths drowned in a river in Ganderbal yesterday when they tried to escape security personnel while being chased during a demonstration by protesters.

The body of one of the youths--Zameer Ahmad Dar-- was fished out from Jhelum river in Ganderbal district this morning, official sources said. The other youth who drowned was identified as Tariq Ahmad Bhat.

An irate mob thrashed Executive Magistrate Ganderbal Ghulam Mohammad Khatana and his personal security guard Fayaz Ahmad as body of Dar was being taken to Sub-District Hospital for post-mortem, Official sources said.

The sources said Khatana and his guard had to be rescued by police by firing tear smoke shells at the protesters. Both of them were admitted to a hospital for treatment.

The restrictions on the movement of people in the Valley were also further tightened in view of apprehension of widespread protests to commemorate the 29th death anniversary of JKLF founder Mohammad Maqbool Bhat.

Bhat, who was sentenced to death for murder of a police officer, was hanged inside Tihar Jail on this day in 1984.

As many as 14 companies of BSF were rushed to Kashmir Valley from Jammu to beef up the security apparatus.