Recovering Queen Elizabeth II pulls out of events

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II has cancelled two more days of public engagements as she fully recovers from a stomach bug.

Buckingham Palace said she would not be attending two planned events here today and tomorrow.

It said she would continue with the "usual rhythm of business at Buckingham Palace", including holding a Privy Council meeting today.

"The Queen continues to make a good recovery following her recent illness, and today (Tuesday) she presented the Queen's Gold Medal for Poetry and held a series of audiences. However, regrettably, she will no longer attend the Tech City engagement planned for tomorrow (Wednesday), or the Soldiers' and Airmen's Scriptures Association Service at the Guards Chapel," it said in a statement.

The Duke of York, her son Prince Andrew, will represent the Queen today while the Duke of Edinburgh Prince Philip will attend the chapel service tomorrow.
"The Queen hopes to resume her programme of official engagements next week," the palace added.

All official appearances, including a trip to Rome, were cancelled or postponed after the 86-year-old monarch was admitted to hospital last week for 24 hours with symptoms of gastroenteritis. It was her first hospitalisation in 10 years.

The Queen, who turns 87 next month, was last admitted to hospital in December 2003 for a scheduled operation on her knee.

On Monday, she made her first official public appearance in more than a week for a Commonwealth Day reception at Marlborough House in London, having cancelled an address at Westminster Abbey earlier in the day.

The latest cancellations will cause concern for the Queen's health but royal sources have played down suggestions of anything too serious.

The palace has insisted that she remains in good spirits, undertaking her usual daily workload away from the public eye.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry