UP accepts Nimesh panel report

Uttar Pradesh government on Tuesday accepted the Nimesh Commission report on arrest of two Muslim youths in 2007 on terror charges, triggering criticism from BJP.

“The report was accepted at the Cabinet meeting today,” chief minister Akhilesh Yadav told newspersons.

The RD Nimesh Commission probed the arrest of two Muslim youths — Tariq Qasmi and Khalid Mujahid — after serial blasts in courts in Lucknow, Faizabad, Varanasi and Gorakhpur in 2007.

Yadav, presiding the meeting, said the report  along with the action taken report will be tabled in legislature during monsoon session.

State BJP spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak said, “the government is only acting with an eye on vote bank.” He said, “the report was handed over to the government in August last year. But it did not act on it then today it took the decision under pressure of Mujahid’s family.”

Qasmi and Mujahid, who died on May 28 while he was being brought back to Lucknow jail from the Faizabad court, were arrested in 2007 by the Special Task force of the UP police in Barabanki allegedly along with some explosives.

The then Mayawati government constituted the commission to probe into the allegations that the two Muslims youths were falsely implicated.

The commission in its report is said to have found discrepancies in the police theory.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry