Security caught off guard by protesters

Security caught off guard by protesters

French Open organisers defended their security arrangements after protesters, one letting off a flare and running on court, briefly interrupted the final between Rafael Nadal and fellow Spaniard David Ferrer on Sunday.

A police source said that 12 people were being questioned after the showpiece match was disrupted and protests broke out elsewhere at Roland Garros in Paris.

Earlier four other protesters were evicted from the stadium by security while six were evicted from the neighbouring Court Suzanne Lenglen where Legends matches were taking place.

"Twelve people have tried to disrupt the match. They have been caught by the security staff of the tournament and been handed over to the police," a police source, who declined to be named, said. "They are being questioned by the police."

Tournament director Gilbert Ysern said: "This kind of thing is regrettable but it has been taken care of remarkably by our security staff. "I apologised to the two players. At the time, you are scared but we were quickly reassured.”

Earlier, four protesters had been pulled out of the higher rows of the Philippe Chatrier stands by security.

They had displayed banners in both French and English saying 'Help! France tramples on children's rights'.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry