Lab chemical explodes in student's eyes

A class VII student suffered serious eye injuries when a chemical his classmate was playing with exploded on Wednesday evening.

The incident came to light only on Friday. One of the students of St Rita’s English Medium School managed to get a bottle of chemical (said to be sodium hydroxide) from the school laboratory. As he was reportedly “experimenting” with it in the school compound after the class hours, it reportedly exploded, severely injuring both the eyes of Amogh, his classmate, who was standing close by, said sources.

The victim has been admitted to a private hospital and the doctor said he would be able to say anything about Amogh’s condition only after a few days. “But one of his eyes should be alright with medication,” he said.

Comments (+)