'Efforts are on to control human trafficking'

More than 1000 missing cases registered in state every year

'Efforts are on to control human trafficking'


Talking to media persons on the sidelines of a meeting with the police officials of the Western Range on Monday, he said the data on the missing and kidnapping cases of women and children is being collected on a daily basis.

A proposal has already been submitted to the government on establishing an Anti Human Trafficking Cell in the State. However,  separate unit led by DIG Malini Krishnamurthy is already looking into such cases, he informed.
More than 1,000 missing cases are being registered in the State every year. Of the total cases, 80 per cent are traced but the remaining 20 per cent remain a mystery.
There are reports that women and children are being used for prostitution, begging and child labour. This situation has mecessitated serious efforts to check human trafficking, Guruprasad explained.

Answering a query on the alleged ‘Love Jihad,’ he said the CID has already submitted a preliminary report to the court, and the court has given time till January 18 to furnish complete details on all missing cases of women across the State.
“The CID is collecting the details of all such cases registered in the past five years. Only after gathering all details, one can get a proper picture on the allegation Love Jihad,” he pointed out.

Admitting that activities related to the production, transportation and distribution of narcotics are alive in Dakshina Kannada, he said the unit of Narcotics Control Bureau is functioning in the district, and is investigating into the sources of drugs that are being supplied to the students.

The DGP (CID) also said a Regional Crime Intelligence Bureau (RCIB) has been established for the Western Range on the lines of the State Crime Intelligence Bureau (SCIB). This wing helps the department in general to trace the cases quickly, he said.

Responding to a query, Guruprasad said chargesheets have been filed against two persons including a bus conductor in connection with the suicide case of one Ashwini Kulal of Mulky. The investigations on the murder of one Bhoja Shetty of Udupi are also on progress, he added.
IGP (Western Range) Gopal B Hosur was present.
DH News Service

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry