25 pc of ATMs yet to comply with security measures: Police

Meeting with representatives of banks convened on Wednesday

25 pc of ATMs yet to comply with security measures: Police

Even as the deadline to comply with three conditions to beef up security at ATM kiosks ended on Sunday, around 25 percent of the kiosks were yet to fall in line, according to police.

“We had set a 45-day deadline for the banks to comply with our directions - appointing a security guard round-the-clock, installing burglars alarm and CCTV camera inside the ATM kiosks. 

The deadline ended on Sunday and around 75 percent of the banks have acted on our instructions. The rest 25 per cent are yet to implement the security measures,” City Police Commissioner Raghavendra Auradkar told Deccan Herald.

The police directed the jurisdictional inspectors to conduct a survey in their areas to ascertain the number of banks that have failed to comply with the guidelines. They have been asked to submit a list of such banks on Wednesday.

The police have planned a meeting with bank representatives to take stock of the situation and decide further course of action.

“We have convened a meeting of bank representatives on January 16. By then we will have the accurate number of banks which have not complied with the guidelines. Such issues will be taken up in the meeting,” the commissioner said.

SBM seeks more time

The State Bank of Mysore (SBM) on Monday submitted a requisition to the commissioner seeking extension of the deadline till January 31. 

“Some more banks may come up with similar plea, but we have not taken any decision in this regard,” Auradkar said. He said the ground reality will be looked into and if found “reasonable,” extension of deadline might be considered.

Additional Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) Kamal Pant said that the City had around 4,000 ATMs with more than 1,000 located in high-security zones, railway station, bus stands,airport, malls and reputed institutions. Such ATMs were exempted from the deadline as they already had the safety measures in place.

The commissioner had issued an order on November 28, 2013 under Section 144 (5) of Criminal Procedure Code for ensuring security measures at the kiosks.

Liked the story?

  • 0

    Happy
  • 0

    Amused
  • 0

    Sad
  • 0

    Frustrated
  • 0

    Angry