Day 3: Authorities still to bell CAT

Day 3: Authorities still to bell CAT

 While many centres claimed there were no problems, the systems in four computer labs at GCC crashed, preventing 200 students from taking the test.

The second session of the CAT examination could not be conducted as the main server was down at GCC. After the technical snags on Sunday and Monday, the IIM authorities were sure that the third day would not pose any trouble to them. Candidates who appeared for the CAT on Monday told Deccan Herald that there were no hitches in the first session but in the second session they faced a lot of problems. The server slowed down in one of the labs, leading to the problems. They will have to appear once again at a later date.

The GCC authorities and the test organisers kept on telling the students from 1 pm that the exam would begin at 5.30 pm once the new server was in place.

But that never happened and the students were asked to leave the hall in the evening. They were told that the next date of the examination would be conveyed to them through email. However, the students were agitated.

"How many times should I appear for the examination? These arrangements are bringing a bad name to the prestigious IIMs," said Venkat, an employee in a private firm. "I have taken leave to appear for the examination. Now, it has gone waste," he added.

Nikhil from Bihar, who studies at Dayananda Sagar College in Bangalore, said he was disappointed with the arrangements. He said his college exams are commencing on Tuesday. He would not be able to take the exams in the next few days. He said that there were hundreds of students from different cities, who are here to take the exam. "Who will arrange for their stay?" questioned Swaroop from Mysore.

Delay again

Meanwhile, at the Vivekananda Degree College here, the test started an hour late on Monday morning. Glitches again prevented the tests from starting on time. It was only in the afternoon batch that the exams and the verification process took place on time.
Fortunately, in the later session, only one candidate experienced a 10-minute delay as his computer took some time to log on. Many students admitted they were very tense before the exams began due to the problems plaguing the centre, the first two days. "But everything went smoothly and we were seated in front of the computers at 3.15 pm," Rajesh, a candidate, said. Most of them felt the paper was relatively alright, but were tight-lipped about more information.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily