Babysitter found dead

Babysitter found dead

Child injured, home ransacked; cops suspect robbery

A 45-year-old babysitter was found dead and a two-year-old child injured in a house at west Delhi’s Uttam Nagar on Thursday.

As the house was found ransacked, police suspect that the woman and the boy were attacked when the woman resisted robbery. The boy’s parents have told police that cash and jewellery worth lakhs of rupees were missing.

The victim has been identified as Inderjeet Singh, a resident of west Delhi’s Hari Nagar.

Police said she was employed by Arvinder Singh, 32, and Amarpreet, 27, at their house in Rama Park.

“The incident came to light when the couple returned home from office at around 7.45 pm,” said a police officer.

The main door of the house was open when Arvinder and Amarpreet arrived. Fearing something was amiss, the couple rushed into the house only to find Inderjeet lying in a pool of blood in the bedroom with a head injury. Their son was unconscious and had sustained injures.

Hearing the commotion, neighbours gathered outside the house and informed police.
“Inderjeet and the boy were taken to Mata Chanan Devi Hospital, where Inderjeet was declared brought dead,” the officer added. The boy’s condition is stated to be stable and he is undergoing treatment.

On Friday, Inderjeet’s body was handed over to the family after post-mortem. After an initial probe, police said the killer gained friendly entry into the house.

“We have not found any evidence of forced entry or of any door or window being broken,” the officer said.

Police said it was possible that the house was ransacked to mislead the investigation.
A case of murder and robbery has been lodged with Uttam Nagar police station, and investigators hope to ascertain the time-frame during which Inderjeet was killed with the help of the post-mortem report.

Police have questioned Arvinder and Amarpreet, their neighbours and some local domestic helps.

It is also suspected that people acquainted with Inderjeet may also be involved in the incident. Investigating officers have obtained the call data records of Inderjeet’s mobile phone.

“We are probing if she was in continuous contact with any suspicious person,” the officer added.