Marion Bartoli took an emotional trip down memory lane as she returned to Wimbledon on Sunday but the retired champion insisted she is at peace with her decision not to defend the title she won last year.
Bartoli quit aged 28 just a month after winning the first Grand Slam title of her career against Germany’s Sabine Lisicki at the All England Club. But, with Wimbledon due to get underway on Monday, Bartoli accepted the All England Club’s offer to take part in the traditional pre-tournament press conferences for last year’s champions.
“Look at my shoulder. Literally I can’t even lift my arm every morning. It was the same last year, and didn’t improve from a year after, even without playing much tennis,” Bartoli told reporters.
“I don’t miss every morning having to wake up and not being able to lift my arm; having my whole body terribly sore. “So definitely no regrets at all. I totally moved on into something different. I just launched my shoe line three weeks ago during the French Open. Designing jewelry, too.
“There are so many things going on in my life right now, but I’m just extremely honoured to be still the 2013 Wimbledon champion and reigning champion just for the next two weeks.
“What I miss the most is probably the last five seconds of my final, which is when I’m about to serve and I serve and I ace, knowing I won Wimbledon.”
Bartoli has been too busy to miss her playing days for long as she cares for her father and longtime coach, Walter, who she says has been hospitalised because of an illness, while also working as a tennis commentator at various tournaments.