Post FYUP, panel to tackle admission challenge

DU appoints committee to get delayed process rolling

Delhi University has appointed a committee of principals to get the admission process rolling.

 
Admissions were slated to begin on June 24, but were deferred following the standoff between DU and the University Grants Commission over the controversial four-year undergraduate programme.

Over 2.7 lakh students have applied for some 54,000 seats in 64 DU colleges.

“The vice chancellor has appointed a committee of principals, which will devise the modalities for admissions, advice and monitor all admission related issues in colleges so that the process of admissions to undergraduate courses for 2014-2015 is completed in the shortest possible time and in a smooth manner,” the university said in a press statement on Friday.

The 12-member committee is likely to submit its report on Monday. But principals say that the shift to three-year course wouldn’t be easy as colleges would need to reallocate seats and workload.

“Under the four-year course, the seats of programme or pass courses like BA Programme, BCom (Pass) and others were distributed among the Honours courses. So now these seats will have to go back to the programme courses,” said Ramjas College principal Rajendra Prasad, adding that redistribution of seats will be a challenge.

Others say that appointment of teachers made on the basis of workload for FYUP will have to be reviewed.

All eyes are set on the meeting of statutory bodies of the university (Academic Council and Executive Council) on Saturday. These bodies will have to ratify changes in the ordinance as per the UGC directions.

The Delhi University Teachers’ Union asked the university to publish pre-FYUP courses on their website along with the number of seats per course.

“We expect that immediate guidelines will be issued to colleges to publish the pre-FYUP courses on their website, along with the number of seats per course.

Emergency Staff Council meetings should be convened at the earliest and cut-offs should be announced based on past experience without inviting fresh applications,” said DUTA president Nandita Narain.

The Principals’ Association also met on Friday to discuss ways to get the admission process rolling. And hours after the meeting began, the university announced withdrawal of the contentious programme introduced last year. University sources say that admissions are likely to start on July 2.

DH Newsletter Privacy Policy Get top news in your inbox daily
GET IT
Comments (+)